- 400g home made square pasta or egg noodle - see recipe post for more options
- 300g sauerkraut, drained
- 1 large onion
- 10g white mushrooms or wild mushrooms or porcini mushrooms
- pinch of dried savory herbs
- 30g smoked cooking bacon, cooked, panchetta if you have no choice
- salt and pepper to taste
Personally I consider Lazanki Egg Noodle with Sauerkraut & Bacon option the most tasty variety. If I am not wrong there are few more versions of this traditional Polish recipe. The main characteristic feature of this super tasty dish is a squared shaped home made pasta. By the way I am planning to share other Lazanki recipes with you, apart from the poppy seed version as I really hate this one. But regular Lazanki noodle with cabbage, cottage cheese & bacon, mushrooms & cabbage, wild mushrooms & sauerkraut and so on.
Let’s start from the most traditional Polish Lazanki recipes from my point of view.
Quick note about the pasta shapes… Of course if you don’t know how to make your own home made pasta or simple don’t want to then you can buy egg noodle shaped pasta or ribbons shape pasta and they will do.
Buy Square Shaped Past For Lazanki
So let me wrap things up – you can use use: Egg Noodles, Farfalle pasta (Bow Ties), Farfalline, Gigli or even Mafalda (break it into small rectangular shapes though 🙂 ).
Lazanki Sauerkraut & Bacon Cooking Method
- Bring the large pot with lightly salted water to boil, and boil square pasta ( egg noodle, bow tie pasta or any other you wish) until tender
- In the meantime dice smoked bacon unless you are using already diced panchetta.
- Chop onions and sauerkraut, finely but not too much. Optionally you can also dice mushrooms.
- When squared pasta is cooked and not to soft yet, take it and put aside.
- Throw in chopped smoked bacon and fry until golden it on little bit of oil (around 2 table spoons of rapeseed oil).
- Next add chopped sauerkraut, optional mushrooms and fry until it’s pretty soft. Don’t overdo it as it shouldn’t be mash.
- Add savory herbs or marjoram if your prefer. Add pinch of salt & pepper to salt.
- When the mixture is ready throw in pasta, mix it together and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes
- Serve immediately hot. Enjoy.